Friday, November 6, 2015

Assignment 3 - Update 2

Update 2

Disclosure: As you can see, I have changed my data set to that of Victims and Persons Accused of Homicide. The Food Vendor data set proved to be of no use to my final report.

1. Lead: Homicide in Canada: Males aged 18-24 are more likely to be victims of homicide and culprits of attempted homicide.


This is a link to my data showing the Top 20 results of both victims and people accused of homicide in Canada, filtered by their age group. The groupings are as follows: 0-11, 12-17, 18-24, 25-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60 and over. The results of the slice of data shown are the twenty highest numbers, ranged between all age groups. The age groups that are not shown are in the full set of data. I chose to show the Top 20 to highlight the evidence that males in the category of homicide victims and persons accused of homicide are the highest in the age group of 18-24. In a legend to the right of the data, I have calculated the total population in 2011 for each age group by gender, to show an actual percentage rate of crime when I do my final report.


As of right now, I have chosen the above story to accompany my data as it shows that men (of aboriginal decent) are more likely to be murdered than woman (of aboriginal decent). This highlights the fact that males are most likely to be victims, but specifies a minority group rather than males in general. I’m hoping to find a better story that will focus on males as both victims and accused.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you set your leading sentence. I think changing your topic is a smart choose, this one is better than the one you have before. You spreadsheet is very easy to understand. The new article is also a good choose for your new topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new topic sounds very interesting and should probably give you much more exciting data to work with. My only suggestion is to maybe rename the '2011' column to something that more clearly explains what the data in that column represents, to make it as clear as possible for your readers. Other than that, I look forward to seeing your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a good choice switching topics. It definitely hits a very serious issue in our country. I really like the news article you picked out. I wonder if you could find a data set that relates just to aboriginals? It would certainly go well with your news article.

    ReplyDelete